News

 More changes planned for the new year

...More

The pub is open from 10 a.m. till 12 midnight with last orders at 11pm daily. <...More

About The Village

The Church of St Andrew's

The church chancel is late 12th century, and its west tower is Norman. But the church as a whole is largely a rebuilding of 1810. It has a nave, north and south aisles, and a three-belled tower.
A stone in the church commemorates the Peace of Dacre when the king of England, Aethelstan, in 927 made peace with Constantine, king of Scotland, and Eugenius of Cumberland. He assured their allegiance to him and conversion to Christianity.

Inside the church is a memorial tablet whose kneeling figure is the work of Sir Frances Chantrey. Two shafts of ancient crosses-one of the 9th century and one a Viking 10th century representation of Adam and Eve-decorate the interior. There are a number of stained glass windows and mural monuments to the Hasell family of Dalemain.
When Cumbrian castle owner and landholder Lady Anne Clifford travelled, she presented locks to places and people who had befriended her. One such lock is on the south door of the Church of St Andrew and dates to 1671.

The church is well known for the Dacre Bears in the churchyard. These are four weathered stone sculptures, the purpose of which is not known. The first bear is asleep, the second is being attacked by a cat, the third bear grabs the cat, and the last bear has eaten the cat.

There are several monuments to the Hasell family who have lived at nearby Dalemain since 1665. There a number of stained glass windows well worth looking at.

 

Click for larger images


Lakeland Walks

Cocklakes Farm Shop